WACO, TX. - The ASA Miami women's team is locked into third place at the 2018 NJCAA National Tournament. Of the eight semifinal matches ASA played in today, four of them went into a third set. Two girls advanced to the national final for the Silver Storm. Claudia Barboza at three singles and Sarah Wardenburg at four singles each punched their ticket on Wednesday afternoon in matches over Hillsborough Community College at the Waco Regional Tennis Center.
"I'm proud of the girls for the season that we had." said Coach Brian Slack. "Immediately, the three sophomore's come to mind and how they stepped up to lead this team to a third place finish. I am very proud of their accomplishments and look forward to seeing them continue their academic and athletic careers." Slack was very appreciative for the hard work, dedication and leadership shown by sophomore's Lisa Khamassi, Sarah Wardenburg and Andrea Sandoval. As far as what is next for him and his program, he mentioned the work that began a long time ago. "Main thing right now is making sure Sarah and Claudia are prepared for their matches tomorrow. Once we finish our 2018 season, the work for 2019 has already begun. When you play for ASA Miami, the goal is always the same. Championship or bust. This only makes everyone within our program hungrier for next year."
ASA Miami failed to place any of the doubles flights in a national final. This marks the first time that happens for a team coached by Slack.
These are the matchup's for tomorrow:
- 3 Singles | Claudia Barboza vs. Kalani Soli (Tyler Junior College)
- 4 Singles | Sarah Wardenburg vs. Yuna Ito (Tyler Junior College)
The national final round will begin tomorrow morning at 9:00 A.M. (CT). Check twitter @ASASilverStorm for updates throughout the tournament.
Singles Semifinal Round
- 2 Singles | Hana Kvapilova (Hillsborough) def. Kyra Akinnibi 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
- 3 Singles | Claudia Barboza def. Valentina Dancenco (Hillsborough) 7-6 (4), 4-6,
- 4 Singles | Sarah Wardenburg def. Hannah Matic (Hillsborough) 6-4, 6-4
- 5 Singles | Oceane Garibal (Tyler JC) def. Vanessa Cozamanis 6-1, 6-3
- 6 Singles | Lolita Kozina (Hillsborough) def. Andrea Sandoval 6-3, 4-6, 2-6
Doubles Semifinal Round
- 1 Doubles | Gonzalez/Mujawimana (Seminole State) def. Wardenburg/Khamassi 6-0, 6-4
- 2 Doubles | Dancenco/Kvapilova (Hillsborough) def. Akinnibi/Barboza 6-3, 4-6, 6-0
- 3 Doubles | Matic/Leder (Hillsborough) def. Cozamanis/Sandoval 6-3, 6-3