WACO, TX. - Competition picked up right away in the quarterfinal round of the 2018 NJCAA National Women's Tennis tournament. ASA Miami's first match of the day at one singles went three sets when Lisa Khamassi faced the number one ranked player in the country - Tamara Arnold from Tyler Junior College. Khamassi took the first set 7-5, but fell 6-1, 6-1 in the second and third sets, respectively.
After that match, ASA would go undefeated for the remainder of the day and advance eight flights to the semifinal round on Wednesday at the Waco Regional Tennis Center.
ASA will take on Hillsborough Community College tomorrow in six of the eight semifinal matches. Five of the six matchup's will be rematches from the 2018 Region VIII tournament. It took the final match of the day, which went three sets and took just under four hours to decide the regional champ. These are the matchup for tomorrow:
- 2 Singles | Kyra Akinnibi vs. Hana Kvapilova (Hillsborough)
- 3 Singles | Claudia Barboza vs. Valentina Dancenco (Hillsborough)
- 4 Singles | Sarah Wardenburg vs. Hannah Matic (Hillsborough)
- 5 Singles | Vanessa Cozamanis vs. Oceane Garibal (Tyler JC)
- 6 Singles | Andrea Sandoval vs. Lolita Kozina (Hillsborough)
- 1 Doubles | Wardenburg/Khamassi vs. Gonzalez/Mujawimana (Seminole State)
- 2 Doubles | Akinnibi/Barboza vs. Dancenco/Kvapilova (Hillsborough)
- 3 Doubles | Cozamanis/Sandoval vs. Matic/Leder (Hillsborough)
The official results and standings have not been posted yet by the NJCAA, but Tyler and Hillsborough are tied for first place with ASA Miami in second. Once the standings are official we will update.
The semifinal round will begin tomorrow morning at 9:00 A.M. (CT). Check twitter @ASASilverStorm for updates throughout the tournament.
Singles Quarterfinal Round
- | Tamara Arnold defeats Lisa Khamassi (Tyler JC) 7-5, 1-6, 1-6.
- | Kyra Akinnibi defeats Maria Aveiga (Seward CC) 6-1, 6-3.
- | Claudia Barboza defeats Melissa Ariza (North Central TX) 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
- | Sarah Wardenburg defeats Steffany Bermudez (Seward CC) 6-2, 6-1
- | Vanessa Cozamanis defeats Olivia Hayes (Central Alabama) 6-1, 6-1
- | Andrea Sandoval defeats Rachel Clark (Collin County) 6–1, 6-0
Doubles Quarterfinal Round
- | Khamassi/Wardenburg defeats Rey/Waites (Collin) 6-2, 6-1
- | Akkinibi/Barboza defeats Bankston/Holmes (Mississippi Gulf Coast) 7-5, 6-3
- | Sandoval/Cozamanis defeats Fontaine/Lamer (Cowley) 6-2, 6-0