ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, FLA. – On the final day of the Region VIII Tournament, which features every two-year school in the state of Florida with women's tennis, it came down to two programs. Hillsborough Community College finished in first place, while ASA Miami was the runner-up. Both teams will advance to the 2018 NJCAA National Tournament in Waco, Texas. Eastern Florida State College also earned a bid to nationals.
It took the final match of the day, which went three sets and took just under four hours to decide the winner. The flight three doubles match between ASA's Andrea Sandoval and Vanessa Cozamanis and Hillsborough's Iris Leder and Hannah Matic felt more like a 12-round heavyweight fight. Both teams dealt with fatigue and cramping, but toughed it out. The Hawks came out on top and earned the Region VIII Championship. ASA had come home with the trophy the previous two years (2016, 2017). Sarah Wardenburg and Andrea Sandoval won their single flights at four and six, respectively. Lisa Khamassi and Wardenburg won the flight one doubles championship.
The 2018 NJCAA National Tournament is May 6-10/11 at the Waco Regional Tennis and Fitness Center in Waco, Texas.
- 2 Singles | No. 1 Hana Kvapilova (Hillsborough) def. No. 3 Kyra Akinnibi def. 6-4, 4-6, 6-1.
- 3 Singles | No. 1 Valentina Dancenco (Hillsborough) def. No. 3 Claudia Barboza 6-3, 6-3.
- 4 Singles | No. 1 Sarah Wardenburg def. No. 3 Camille Portalier (Broward) 6-1, 6-0.
- 5 Singles | No. 3 Shaylee Syme (Hillsborough) def. No. 2 Vanessa Cozamanis 6-1, 6-0.
- 6 Singles | No. 2 Andrea Sandoval def. No. 1 Lolita Kozina (Hillsborough) 6-4, 6-4.
- 1 Doubles | No. 2 Lisa Khamassi/Sarah Wardenburg def. Momose/Karcher (St. Pete) 6-3, 6-4.
- 2 Doubles | No. 2 Kyra Akinnibi/Claudia Barboza def. Vitale/Portalier (Broward College) 6-4, 6-5.
- 3 Doubles | No. 2 Andrea Sandoval/Vanessa Cozamanis def. Duque/Othmer (EFSC) 6-5, 6-3.
- 1 Doubles | No. 2 Wardenburg/Khamassi def. No. 1 Mullins/Syme (Hillsborough) 6-3, 3-6, 7-5
- 2 Doubles | No. 1 Mullins/ (Hillsborough) def. No. 2 Akinnibi/Barboza 6-5, 6-4.
- 3 Doubles | No. 1 Matic/Leder (Hillsborough) def. No. 2 Cozamanis/Sandoval 5-7, 7-6 (6), 7-6 (5).