#7 ASA Miami 6, #4 St. Petersburg 3
Records: ASA Miami 4-0, 1-0 SPC 1-2, 0-2
Sunday, February 18 | 2:00 p.m. | St. Petersburg, Fla. | Treasure Bay Golf & Tennis Center
- #19 Satomi Momose (St. Pete) def. #28 Lisa Khamassi (ASA Miami) 3-6, 2-6
- #25 Josephine Karcher (St. Pete) def. Kyra Akinnibi (ASA Miami) 6-7(4), 6-2, 3-10
- Claudia Barboza (ASA Miami) def. Barbara Damiani (St. Pete) 6-1, 7-5
- Sarah Wardenburg (ASA Miami) def. A. Wirlitch (St. Pete) 6-2, 6-1
- Vanessa Cozamanis (ASA Miami) def. Maria Monica Diaz (St. Pete r) 6-1,6-
- Andrea Sandoval (ASA Miami) def. Marla Mesa Montoya (St. Pete) 6-1, 6-0
- #14 Momose /Karcher (St. Pete) def. #21 Khamassi/Wardenburg (ASA Miami) 2-8
- Akinnibi/Barboza (ASA Miami) def. Damiani/Diaz (St. Pete) 8-3
- Cozamanis/Sandoval (ASA Miami) def. Wirlitch /Montoya (St. Pete) 9-8 (5)
The ASA Miami women's tennis team started things off on the right foot during Region VIII play on Sunday afternoon, after taking down the fourth-ranked team in the country, St. Petersburg College 6-3. With a balanced lineup including three freshman and three sophomores, Coach Slack is excited to see how far this team can go. "After falling just short of a national championship last year, it's easy to see how hungry the sophomore's are, Slack said. "The sophomore's are constantly in the ear of the freshman describing how tough the competition is at this level and what it takes to make a run at the national tournament."
After taking two of three doubles matches, Coach Slack felt more confident headed into singles play. One of the more competitive matches of the day was at two singles. Kyra Akinnibi dropped the first set 6-7 (4), after not being able to convert four set points. She cruised through the second set, even being up 5-0 at one point but was unable to take the third set 3-10. The third set was played as a super tie-breaker due to the Silver Storm already clinching the match 6-2.
UP NEXT | ASA Miami will hit the road to take on State College of Florida, Manatee-Sarasota in Bradenton on Friday at 3:00 p.m.