TAMPA, FL. - A hard fought weekend finally comes to an end. At the top of the leaderboard sits ASA Miami. ASA finished with 21.5 points, which was enough to clinch their second-consecutive regional championship crown. After sweeping the semifinals yesterday, ASA appeared in all six flights of the finals in the singles matches. Ghita Nassik (#6 singles) set the tone for the Silver Storm today winning the first match of the day (6-3, 6-1). ASA split the singles matches, winning the #2, #5 and #6 singles flight championships.
ASA began their doubles play today, after receiving a seeding which automatically pushed them to the semifinals. The #3 doubles combo of Lisa Khamassi and Sarah Wardenburg opened in great form winning their match 6-0, 6-1. They would go on to win their flights championship. Emily Da Silva Chang and Yuliana Munroy teamed up as the #1 doubles combo for the Silver Storm. Chang and Munroy fought back a tough match after dropping the first set, but fell short 7-5 in the third set.
- ASA Miami: 21.5
- Broward College: 15
- Saint Petersburg College: 13
- State College of Florida – Manatee Sarasota: 9.5
- Hillsborough Community College: 8
- Florida State College at Jacksonville: 0
- #1 Singles Yuliana Munroy falls to Hillsborough Community College (6-4, 7-6).
- #2 Singles Emily Da Silva Chang def. S.t Petersburg College (7-6, 6-3).
- #3 Singles Dugleisy Linarez falls to St. Petersburg College (6-2, 6-4).
- #4 Singles Jeung Yang falls in three-set match to Broward College (4-6, 6-4, 7-5).
- #5 Singles Lisa Khamassi def. Broward College (6-4, 7-5).
- #6 Singles Ghita Nassik def. Broward College (6-3, 6-1).
- #1 Doubles (Emily Da Silva Chang/Yuliana Munroy) falls to State College of Florida (6-4, 3-6, 6-4).
- #2 Doubles (Dugleisy Linarez/Jeung Yang) def. State College of Florida (6-0, 6-0).
- #3 Doubles (Lisa Khamassi/Sarah Wardenburg) def. St. Petersburg College (6-0, 6-1).
- #2 Doubles (Dugleisy Linarez/Jeung Yang) def. Broward College (6-4, 3-6, 6-4).
- #3 Doubles (Lisa Khamassi/Sarah Wardenburg) def. Broward College (7-5, 1-1). *Match ended by default due to injury.
To see yesterday's matchups and results CLICK HERE
UP NEXT: The ASA Silver Storm will return home for a two week break before traveling to Tucson, Arizona for the 2017 NJCAA National Tournament. ASA Miami currently holds the #2 ranking in the country going into nationals according to ITATennis.com.
ABOUT ASA COLLEGE: ASA College is regionally accredited by the Middle States Commission of Higher Learning. The college is also accredited by the following governing agencies: Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS). Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs. In addition, ASA College and its faculty and staff maintain required memberships and certifications from a wide realm of professional higher education and civic organizations.
FOLLOW THE STORM
For the latest news on ASA Miami Athletics, follow the Silver Storm on social media. Twitter @ASASilverStorm, Instagram @ASASilverStorm, on Facebook at Facebook.com/ASASilverStorm and on Snapchat at ASASilverStorm.