PLANO, TX. - It's time to party in Plano. The ASA Miami men's tennis team has won their second consecutive National Championship.
Brian Slack, ASA Miami's head tennis coach, has made ASA College a tennis dynasty. Slack has taken home the last four NJCAA Men's National Championships. Crowns in 2014 & 2015 were earned while he was the head coach at ASA New York. Now, during his time as the head coach in ASA Miami he has won back-to-back championships. He has also won three of the last four on the women's side to give him seven NJCAA National Championships as an ASA head coach. Seven. Watch out Phil Jackson.
Coach Slack can thank a very important duo for trophy number seven. Kentaro Mizushima and Tin Chen clinched the crown for ASA after taking down Tyler Junior College in three sets during the flight two doubles final. Both ASA Miami and Tyler were tied with 43 points going into that match. The winner would become the 2017 National Champion, and win they did. Chen and Mizushima each won their singles flights as well, at four and five respectively.
The final point in a 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 victory sent the entire ASA Miami team into a frenzy, but not coach Slack. Coach Slack is always calm and collected. Regardless of how his team performs, Coach Slack is always cooler than the other side of the pillow as the late Stuart Scott would once say.
"I couldn't be any prouder of this group." Slack said. We were tested again and again all year long, even during this tournament. All that matters now is that we're champs!"
Singles Final Round
- Back Draw | #2 Singles Martin Mendoza def. Paradise Valley (6-2, 6-2)
- #3 Singles Tyler Junior College def. Sacha Modica (6-1, 6-4).
- #4 Singles Tin Chen def. Tyler Junior College (6-1, 4-6, 6-4).
- #5 Singles Kentaro Mizushima def. ABAC (6-4, 6-1).
- #6 Singles Eric Ahren-Moonga def. Cowley County College (6-1, 6-3).
Doubles Final Round
- #1 Doubles Tyler Junior College def. Martin Mendoza/Sacha Modica (6-1, 6-2).
- #2 Doubles Tin Chen/Kentaro Mizushima def. Tyler Junior College (6-3, 3-6, 6-3)
- #3 Doubles Eric Ahren-Moonga/Olivier Koeng def. Laredo Community College (6-2, 7-6(1).
TEAM STANDINGS (By Points)
1st = ASA College of Miami - 44 Points
2nd = Tyler Junior College - 43 Points
3rd = ABAC - 35 Points
4th = Seward County Community College - 32 Points
5th = Laredo Commiunity College - 27 Points